Shakespeare Sonnet Number 29

By Stanley Switalski
Do Now: What are the two most important things that you know about Shakespeare and the period?
Probably the most important is that the Shakespearean period took place during the height of the Renaissance Era, from 1564 to 1610. Another important fact that influenced Shakespeare and his plays was that, back in the 16th century, women were not able to take a role in a play. Because of this, sometimes Shakespeare's work is questioned whether or not X play or sonnet meant this or something else.

Mini Lesson: What additionally makes up a Shakespearean Sonnet?
  • Iambic Pentameter
  • Rhyme Scheme
  • Analyze and identify a Shakespearean Sonnet
  • Read Sonnet 29 print out the poem or copy and paste it in a word document, then illustrate/write the rhyme scheme at the end of each line.
  • When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes, A
    I all alone beweep my outcast state B
    And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries A
    And look upon myself and curse my fate, B
    Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, C
    Featured like him, like him with friends possess’d D
    Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope, C
    With what I most enjoy contented least; D
    Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising, E
    Haply I think on thee, and then my state, F
    Like to the lark at break of day arising E
    From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate; F
    For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings G
    That then I scorn to change my state with kings. G

  • Write a brief paragraph on what you think is the meaning of the poem.
  • The speaker is currently not happy with his situation. At one point, I would like to assume that everything was fine. However, now the speaker is an outcast and not even heaven will answer his questions. When thinking about it, the speaker realizes that his passion is not found important to his other peers. And although he cannot do anything to change what has occurred, he still remembers and holds dearly onto that passion.

  • Think about two questions that you would like to discuss about this poem and write it in your journal/notebook.
  • Q1: In line 6, who is the “him” that the speaker is talking about?
    Q2: In line 14, what is his class in society if he “scorns to change his state with kings?”
  • Now pass your journals around your table and have your peers answer the questions.
  • QA1: A better man perhaps, one with many features, which he envies. He pities himself at how he doesn’t have enough in life and others have it all in a spoonful.
    QA2: He’s probably lower than the king and wants to justify himself and equalize it since he wants more in life.

    Cooperative Learning:
    Thematic Question:
  • What is the overall theme of this sonnet? Cite supporting lines from the sonnet
  • It is self-pity. In a few lines he is just describing how he is in a bad situation and just repeats "woe is me."
  • Line 2: I all alone beweep my outcast state.
  • Line 4: And look upon myself and curse my fate.
  • Line 14: That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

  • Is this a Love Poem or Self Pity Poem? Cite supporting lines from the sonnet.
  • Although he may have lost a love or a passion, he concentrates more on the self-pity aspect than the love aspect. Again:
  • Line 2: I all alone beweep my outcast state.
  • Line 4: And look upon myself and curse my fate.
  • Line 14: That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

  • Compare & Contrast:
  • How is this sonnet different from Sonnet 18?
  • Sonnet 18 discussed more about a love and how that love is more beautiful than anything on this earth. Sonnet 29, on the other hand, is talking more about how they lost some love or passion and is remembering good times with that love.

    Analytical Question:
  • What changes the speaker’s mood?
  • Halfway through the sonnet, the speaker stops cursing his situation and instead tries to make good out of it. The speaker starts to recall all the good times he had with this lost love instead of crying about losing this love.

  • What do you think are the speaker’s strongest feelings in this sonnet?
  • The strongest feelings in this sonnet would be hatred and anger, because he has lost this love, and happiness, because the speaker has figured out how to make the best out of his situation.

    Literary Analysis:
  • What literary techniques/devices are evident in Sonnet 29?
  • First Person
  • Conflict
  • Theme
  • Mood
  • Hyperbole
  •  

    0 comments so far.

    Something to say?