Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43

By Stanley Switalski
Aim: How is the Shakespearean Sonnet different from the Petrarchan Sonnet
Do Now: How would you describe your approach to romance when compared to your friends?
Some of my friends and peers feel as though that you should go for the most attractive female and do everything that you possibly can to impress her. I, on the other hand, feel as though that what happens, happens and so if there is a female that I find interesting, then it would be bound to happen. I would not have to impress or do anything to “make romance” occur. After all, love is not all about being impressive or being physically beautiful. If that is what your judgment is based on, and you put on a fake personality, then what do you really have in common?
Teacher Read Aloud: Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s Sonnet 43
XLIII. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Comprehension Check:
1.What question does the speaker of “Sonnet 43” prose and answer?
The question posed is "How (much) do I love you?" The speaker loves their beloved in many forms and uses metaphors and other comparisons to express the speaker's deep love for their beloved.
2.What is your impression of the romantic relationship described in this sonnet?
I believe that the romantic relationship being described is a true relationship, not based just on physical appearance, but compatibility and loyalty. Although there are many reasons I get this idea, the line that hits me the hardest is line 14, "I shall but love thee better after death." The speaker loves this person so much, that even after they pass away, the speaker will love them even more and miss their presence to the point of heart-break.
3.Do you think it is desirable to love or be loved in this way?
I do believe that it is desirable to be loved in this way. It shows that they really care about you and would always love you, "in sickness and in health." On the other hand, I do not think it is desirable to be loved in this fashion as well. Constantly hearing "I love you" and always having to be with someone can take a toll on me, as well as many other people.
Literary Analysis: What symbols are evident in this poem?
Line 6: I love thee ... by sun and candle-light.
Line 7: I love thee freely, as men strive for Right
Line 14: I shall but love thee better after death.
Critical thinking:
Do you think it is wrong to love someone so intensely?
Although I do not think it is wrong to love someone so intensely, I would think it would become an annoyance after a while. Like I said before, it is nice to spend time with your love and hear/see that your love indeed loves you. However, there are just sometimes where it is nice to be alone, just to console and relax.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?