12/4/08 - Homework

By Stanley Switalski
Cite sources: Where can we find the 5 stages of grief as it pertains to Dorian. Please also include:
Temes describes three particular types of behavior exhibited by those suffering from grief and loss. They are:
  • Numbness (mechanical functioning and social insulation)
  • Disorganization (intensely painful feelings of loss)
  • Reorganization (re-entry into a more 'normal' social life.)

  • Denial
    Dorian denies the fact that the painting had reflected his cruelty towards Sibyl.
    Was it all true? Had the portrait really changed? Or had it been simply his own imagination that had made him see a look of evil where there had been a look of joy? Surely a painted canvas could not alter? The thing was absurd. It would serve as a tale to tell Basil some day. It would make him smile.
    Anger
    Dorian is both in Denial and expresses anger when Lord Henry first informs him that Basil is dead. Often Denial can be expressed in a form of anger, as in this case.
    A cry of pain broke from the lad's lips, and he leaped to his feet, tearing his hands away from Lord Henry's grasp. "Dead! Sibyl dead! It is not true! It is a horrible lie! How dare you say it?"
    Bargaining
    Dorian is found bargaining when he decides to write a letter to Sibyl, essentially begging for forgiveness. By asking for forgiveness and writing about his foolishness, he is hoping that in return he can get Sibyl to marry him.
    Finally, he went over to the table and wrote a passionate letter to the girl he had loved, imploring her forgiveness and accusing himself of madness. He covered page after page with wild words of sorrow and wilder words of pain. There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution. When Dorian had finished the letter, he felt that he had been forgiven.
    Depression
    Dorian finds himself in a small depression as soon as he realizes that he indirectly killed Sibyl. This is because a gloomy mood falls over Dorian as he tries to cope with the fact that Sibyl is dead and he never got the chance to apologize to her.
    "So I have murdered Sibyl Vane," said Dorian Gray, half to himself, "murdered her as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife. Strange, that my first passionate love-letter should have been addressed to a dead girl. Can they feel, I wonder, those white silent people we call the dead? Sibyl! Can she feel, or know, or listen? Oh, Harry, how I loved her once! It seems years ago to me now. She was everything to me. I can't tell you what it was, but it was terrible. I said I would go back to her. I felt I had done wrong. And now she is dead. My God! My God! Harry, what shall I do? You don't know the danger I am in, and there is nothing to keep me straight. She would have done that for me. She had no right to kill herself. It was selfish of her."
    "I was terribly cruel to her. You forget that."
    "She will never come to life again now," muttered the lad, burying his face in his hands.
    The evening darkened in the room. Noiselessly, and with silver feet, the shadows crept in from the garden. The colours faded wearily out of things.
    Acceptance
    At the end of chapter 8 and beginning of chapter 9, we start to see how Dorian has accepted Sibyl's death. This is partially due to Lord Henry's influences. He made Dorian realize what Dorian really loved about Sibyl and convinced Dorian to move on. Lord Henry used phrases such as "The girl never really lived, and so she has never really died" to force Dorian to move on and accept her death.
    "You have explained me to myself, Harry," he murmured with something of a sigh of relief. "I felt all that you have said, but somehow I was afraid of it, and I could not express it to myself. How well you know me! But we will not talk again of what has happened. It has been a marvellous experience. That is all. I wonder if life has still in store for me anything as marvellous."
    "Don't talk about horrid subjects. If one doesn't talk about a thing, it has never happened. It is simply expression, as Harry says, that gives reality to things."

    Numbness
    The only example of numbness that I can find is where Dorian sleeps extremely late. He has lost all sense of time and reality due to the fact that he had just seen his portrait degrade in beauty. After all, normal paintings cannot change.
    "It was long past noon when he awoke. He seemed to have forgotten all that he had gone through. Adim sense of having taken part in some strange tragedy came to him once or twice, but there was the unreality of a dream about it."
    Disorganization
    Again, a perfect example of disorganization would be where Dorian finds himself the indirect cause of Sibyl's death.
    "So I have murdered Sibyl Vane," said Dorian Gray, half to himself, "murdered her as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife. Strange, that my first passionate love-letter should have been addressed to a dead girl. Can they feel, I wonder, those white silent people we call the dead? Sibyl! Can she feel, or know, or listen? Oh, Harry, how I loved her once! It seems years ago to me now. She was everything to me. I can't tell you what it was, but it was terrible. I said I would go back to her. I felt I had done wrong. And now she is dead. My God! My God! Harry, what shall I do? You don't know the danger I am in, and there is nothing to keep me straight. She would have done that for me. She had no right to kill herself. It was selfish of her."
    "She will never come to life again now," muttered the lad, burying his face in his hands.
    Reorganization
    Dorian experiences the Reorganization stage when he agrees to go with Lord Henry to the theater. This is because going out places with Lord Henry is the norm for Dorian. If he wasn't spending time with Lord Henry, then he would not be able to completely enter the reorganization stage.
    "I think I shall join you at the opera, Harry. I feel too tired to eat anything. What is the number of your sister's box?"
    "Twenty-seven, I believe. It is on the grand tier. You will see her name on the door. But I am sorry you won't come and dine."
    "I don't feel up to it," said Dorian listlessly. "But I am awfully obliged to you for all that you have said to me.
     

    0 comments so far.

    Something to say?